Management and Outcomes of Wilson Disease in Pregnancy: A Case Report
Pregnancy in a woman with Wilson disease (WD) can cause pre-eclampsia, miscarriage, and preterm labor and causes hepatic, neurologic, and hematologic complications aside from pregnancy-related difficulties. A 30-year-old female was brought to the emergency room (ER) in her 38th gestational week (GW) with the chief complaint of left foot swelling and weight gain. Aside from a platelet count of about 73000, the rest of the assessment and findings were normal. Regarding the reassurance of the platelet count and holding the medical treatment, throughout the vaginal delivery, a child with Apgar of 9-10 was delivered. WD in pregnancy tends to have complications, thus patient management and how the patient is treated are critical.
2. Ferenci P. Pathophysiology and clinical features of Wilson disease. Metabolic brain disease. 2004;19(3-4):229-39. https:// doi.org/10.1023/B:MEBR.0000043973.10494.85
3. In KJTBS. GeneReviews (R)(Pagon RA, Adam MP, Ardinger HH, Wallace SE, Amemiya A, Bean LJH, Bird TD, Fong CT, Mefford HC, Smith RJH, Stephens K, eds.). Seattle (WA). 1993.
4. Pfeiffenberger J, Beinhardt S, Gotthardt DN, Haag N, Freissmuth C, Reuner U, et al. Pregnancy in Wilson’s disease: Management and outcome. Hepatology. 2018;67(4):1261-9. https://doi. org/10.1002/hep.29490
5. Furman B, Bashiri A, Wiznitzer A, Erez O, Holcberg G, Mazor M. Wilson’s disease in pregnancy: five successful consecutive pregnancies of the same woman. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology and Reproductive Biology. 2001;96(2):232-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-2115(00)00456-5
6. Yu X-E, Pan M, Han Y-Z, Yang R-M, Wang J, Gao S. The study of Wilson disease in pregnancy management. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth. 2019;19(1):522. https://doi.org/10.1186/ s12884-019-2641-8
7. Schilsky ML. Wilson disease: diagnosis, treatment, and follow- up. Clinics in Liver Disease. 2017;21(4):755-67. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.cld.2017.06.011
8. Žegarac Z, Duić Z, Stasenko S, Partl J, Valetić J, Cvrlje V. C. Wilson’s disease in pregnancy. Acta Clin Croat. 2013;52(4):529- 32.
9. Shimono N, Ishibashi H, Ikematsu H, Kudo J, Shirahama M, Inaba S, et al. Fulminant hepatic failure during perinatal period in a pregnant woman with Wilson’s disease. Gastroenterologia Japonica. 1991;26(1):69-73. https://doi.org/10.1007/ BF02779512
10. Liver EAFTSOT. EASL clinical practice guidelines: Wilson’s disease. Journal of hepatology. 2012;56(3):671-85. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.jhep.2011.11.007
11. Westbrook RH, Yeoman AD, O’Grady JG, Harrison PM, Devlin J, Heneghan MA. Model for end-stage liver disease score predicts outcome in cirrhotic patients during pregnancy. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2011;9(8):694-9. https:// doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2011.03.036
12. Roberts EA, Schilsky ML. Diagnosis and treatment of Wilson disease: an update. Hepatology. 2008;47(6):2089-111. https:// doi.org/10.1002/hep.22261
13. Pinter R, Hogge W, McPherson E. Infant with severe penicillamine embryopathy born to a woman with Wilson disease. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A. 2004;128(3):294-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.10871
14. Huster D. Wilson disease. Best practice & research Clinical gastroenterology. 2010;24(5):531-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. bpg.2010.07.014
15. Torbenson V, Rose C. Wilson Disease: Implications for Pregnancy. Clinical and Translational Perspectives on WILSON DISEASE: Elsevier; 2019. p. 409-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/ B978-0-12-810532-0.00040-9
|Issue||Vol 7 No 6 (2022): November-December|
|Complications Management Pregnancy Wilson Disease|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|