Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Combined with Type II Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome
A 30-year-old woman with a 20-year history of type 1 diabetes referred to our clinic with the complaints of facial acne, hirsutism, and irregular menstrual cycles (hirsutism was identified in physical examination). On biochemical analysis, high serum levels of antiTPO and DHEA-S were detected. Based on ultrasonographic findings indicative of thyroiditis and positive anti-TPO test, the diagnosis of Hashimoto's thyroiditis was made. A diagnosis of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) was confirmed later according to the Rotterdam criteria (revised 2003). The patient received metformin and insulin for 3 months and her menstrual cycles became regular.
- Azziz R, Carmina E, Dewailly D, Diamanti-Kandarakis E, Escobar-Morreale HF, Futterweit W, et al. Criteria for defining polycystic ovary syndrome as a predominantly hyperandrogenic syndrome: an androgen excess society guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2006; 91 (11): 4237-45
-Codner E, Escobar-Morreale HF. Hyperandrogenism and polycystic ovary syndrome in women with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92 (4): 1209-16
-Petríková J, Lazúrová I. Polycystic ovary syndrome and autoimmune diseases. Vnitr̆ní lékar̆ství 2010; 56 (5); 414-7
- Hoek A, Schoemaker J, Drexhage HA. Premature ovarian failure and ovarian autoimmunity. Endocr Rev 1997; 18 (1); 107-34
-- Luborsky JL, Shatavi S, Adamczyk P, Chiong C, Llanes B, Lafniztzegger J, et al. Polycystic ovary syndrome and ovarian autoimmunity assessment of ovarian antibodies by EIA. J Reprod Immunol 1999; 42 (1): 79-84
- Kachuei M, Jafari F, Kachuei A, Keshteli AH. Prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2012; 285 (3): 853-6
-- Janssen OE, Mehlmauer N, Hahn S, Offner AH, Gärtner R. High prevalence of autoimmune thyroiditis in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol 2004; 150 (3): 363-9
- Ganie MA, Marwaha RK, Aggarwal R, Singh S. High prevalence of polycystic ovary syndrome characteristics in girls with euthyroid chronic lymphocytic thyroiditis: a case–control study. Eur J Endocrinol 2010; 162 (6): 1117-22
--Petríková J, Lazúrová I. Ovarian failure and polycystic ovary syndrome. Autoimmunity Rev 2012; 11 (6-7); A471-8.
- Escobar-Morreale HF, Roldán B, Barrio R, Alonso M, Sancho J, de la Calle H, et al. High prevalence of the polycystic ovary syndrome and hirsutism in women with type 1 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000; 85 (11); 4182-7.
-Ehrmann DA. Polycystic ovary syndrome. N Engl J Med 2005; 352 (12): 1223-6.